Davis (DE) - It is not everyday that a small, local newspaper gets to interview one of the presidential candidates. Even though we can’t afford a real exclusive interview, an email interview will suffice. Who is the candidate you ask? Well it is the former mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani. In the interview, we talked about the everyday issues that the locals of Davis might be concerned with.
As in my previous article, I talked about how the education system is in a freefall and below average compared to other countries on the international stage. Giuliani believes that the whole K-12 system needs to be reformed to meet international levels. “I will bring the educational decision making into the hands of the parents, the individuals that know the children best,” replied Giuliani, “I will create a federal voucher program to help children in failing schools.”
Ever since Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, the Sacramento valley has been in a state of fear. Experts believe that our levee systems could end up like that of New Orleans. There have been inadequate amounts of the funds to repair the levee system. Giuliani proposes that more money will be needed to upgrade the levee systems that were built in the 1900’s. In case of a severe flood in the Sacramento valley, he wants to be prepared by expanding training opportunities and creating teams like the Urban Search and Rescue Teams.
In the past, Giuliani supported President Bush’s tactics of using domestic surveillance. He stated that “we have to remain a country that has the Patriot Act, a country that has electronic surveillance to use to find out about these plots that may be being planned.” Bush and Congress have been heavily criticized for passing a law that violates personal privacy. Giuliani is still in favor of it, but believes that Bush’s administration misused the Patriot Act. “I support finding terrorists,” says Giuliani, “…I still believe that if electronic surveillance is being used on those people who are high risk, and then I am in favor of it.”
Crime rates might be dropping but violent crime rates is on the rise. New York City has one of the lowest crime rates among other metropolitans. Giuliani plans to implement the same safety system as he did in New York City to the rest of the country. “I would love to have the American people be able to sleep soundly at night knowing that an increase in public safety officials is doing their job.”
Giuliani plans to introduce a new tax form called the Fair and Simple Tax Form which consists of only three tiers: 10%, 15%. 30%. “This new format will make the often confusing tax system simpler for the average American,” says Giuliani, “While making it simpler it will also be able to save an average American family of four, which makes $80,000 a year, an estimated $2,207in federal income tax.”
For the final question, I asked him about his current campaign strategy. With him losing in every state so far, especially Florida, where he focused everything, what are his thoughts and what does he have planned? “I believe that Americans have been able to hear my message and they will want my standards in homeland security and taxes, be something by whoever will be in the White House. This is not the last America will hear of Rudy Giuliani.”
That is a testament of a great American.
No comments:
Post a Comment